Monday, March 12, 2007

darthcricket Goes UrbAg!

It is a new spring, dubious thanks to the Harper/Bush mafia. Of course I exaggerate a bit but it feels like spring after the coldest February on record. It is actually a new Daylight Savings Schedule. More on this later...

UrbAg? WTF? It's the new anti-Harper/Bush method of putting good food on the table. UrbAg is an anacronym for Urban Agriculture as opposed to agriculture where you might normally find farms and big farms at that! They are called BigAg...BigBadAg mostly. And then there's the SmallAg who probably do it for love and and swap/sell what they have left over from feeding their families to smart families in the cities and towns. (SmallAg's are friends of UrbAgs usually).

My interest, as a subversive insect, was slowly cooking as, kind of like 'boiling frogs', as I was being exposed to the Demonsmonkey's garden in a very gradual way. She, my partner, thought last year, "Why should we buy food?" (I'm sure she didn't mean to steal it as she's not that kind of monkey). So she started her balcony garden late in the season last year but unfortunately the beets didn't make it though got the peas to pod. As we have been volunteering in the garden at the STOP Community Food Centre since last summer there must have been some subliminal messaging happening as well.

So anyway I was scanning my favourite anti-WalMart flyer from Canadian Tire and an ad for a 72 cell herb garden kit jumped out at me! And for $6.99 + PST&GST! Wow! I was hooked (cooked?). Not only that but they had "duck shoes" for the Demonsmoney! Wow x 2 = WowWow! Something celestial must have been aligned for it sure felt like Spring.

So now as I sit here typing I have, sitting to my left, a mini greenhouse full of potential delights for culinary, medicinal and other esoteric purposes... basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro and thyme.

We got magick!

No comments: